If you are a male and haven't cut your hair in a while, you may be overwhelmed by the number of different styles that are currently in fashion. If you are able to narrow your selection down to one particular cut, you may still be unsure of how the style will look on you. One of the most important features to consider when selecting a haircut is the shape of your face. Some facial shapes simply work better with certain styles.
Here is a bit of information about facial shapes and selecting a suitable haircut.
How Do You Know the Shape of Your Face?
If you're unsure about the shape of your face, try measuring it. Using a measuring tape, determine the average width of your face. Simply stretch the measuring tool from one side of your face to the other, measuring at the top (distance across the forehead), middle (width from cheekbone to cheekbone), and bottom (width from jawbone to jawbone). Add the widths together and divide by three to determine the average width of your face.
Here are some of the typical face shapes and how their measurements compare:
- Oval. Your facial length is about 1 1/2 times greater than the average width.
- Round. The length of the face is approximately the same as the average width.
- Oblong. The length of your face is greater than 1 1/2 times the average width.
- Square. Like the round face, the length is close to the average width. However, the widest portion of your face is at your jawline.
Which Haircuts Are Suitable for Each Face Shape?
Here are the same face shapes and the haircuts that work well with them.
- Oval. Most haircuts look great on an oval face. Simply avoid longer hair on the sides of the face, since this feature can make the face appear chubbier. Haircuts with sharp angles tend to make an oval face appear even more masculine.
- Round. A round male face should stick with voluminous haircuts that incorporate sharp angles. The sides should be shorter while leaving the top a bit longer in order to help elongate the face.
- Oblong. Men with oblong facial features should try to avoid hairstyles that include excessively short hair on the sides. Cuts that include longer side hairs and a layered top typically work well.
- Square. A square facial shape on a male is extremely versatile. Practically any cut looks great on a square face.
If you would like to have your hair cut into a particular style, schedule a consultation with a barbershop in your local area.